Preventing Sensitivity Before and After Teeth Whitening
Dental whitening solutions easily lift stains left by coffee and cigarettes and are offered by cosmetic dentists in either chair-side or take-home treatments. Chair-side appointments help you achieve a bright smile before a big event, while take-home kits allow you to undergo treatment at your own pace.
But no matter which option you choose, it’s important to consider your comfort. The following guidelines can help you avoid sensitivity both before and after brightening your smile.
While many patients complete whitening treatments without any irritation, others may experience sensitive dental enamel. This is partial because most bleaching solutions contain forms of peroxide, a substance that can dry dental enamel and increase thermal sensitivity. If you experience pangs of discomfort, typically referred to by patients as “zingers,” please let your cosmetic dentist know so they can adjust your treatment plan.
Personal Adjustments to Whitening Treatments
While your dentist can offer a topical solution to prevent irritation from whitening, there are steps you can take between appointments to maximize your comfort.
- Choose toothpaste that is specifically designed for sensitive teeth and gums. Some brands offer variations specifically designed for whitening as well.
- Reduce your appointments. While some patients are comfortable with frequent whitening treatments, it may be best to minimize chairside appointments over time out if you’re experiencing irritation.
- If you’re taking treatment at your own pace with take-home kits, you can also choose to wear the trays for less time than suggested.
- Differing whitening gels have varying concentrations of peroxide and combinations of additional ingredients. If your teeth are sensitive, choose an option that contains a lower amount of the active bleaching agent and includes components intended to limit sensitivity, such as potassium.
- If you your chosen bleaching solution does not include desensitizing agents as one of the main ingredients, you can apply them yourself both before and after the treatment. You should allow ten to thirty minutes for the solution to work.
Interested in brightening your smile? At Anaheim Smile Studio, Dr. Azita and her team help patients achieve beautiful smiles through effective whitening treatments. For more information on cosmetic dentistry in Anaheim Hills, or to schedule an appointment, call our dental practice today!